1. CONGRATULATIONS to all of the students for their fantastic performances at this year's Optimist Band festival. The adjudicators were very impressed with our ensembles. For the past 15 years in a row all of our ensembles have been awarded invitations to compete at Nationals and this year was no exception. Way to go bands! What an impressive achievement.
Robert Taylor shared this "Great musical selections! There are a lot of strengths in this ensemble, from your numbers, to your technical work to your energy and enthusiasm."
Jonathan Dagenais shared this: "Great tone quality and musicality! Great players and very good musicianship."
Thank you all, parents and students, for making this years festival a memorable one!
2. Sr. Jazz managed to make their way through the Optimist Jazz festival with an outstanding performance that had the adjudicators scratching their heads in awe at the level of music and musicianship compared to their age. Once of our adjudicator's, Scott Prebys, told the band that he was left with goosebumps as we played. Congratulations to all of the students and parents for making this past Saturday a very special event. Sr. Jazz will now go on to represent Manitoba at the Nationals Jazz competition in May.
3. All concert band classes have received new music and are deep into run-throughs. Sectional cut-off and Self-Assessment #3 is due on the 17th of April. This date is coming fast and be wary of spring Break in there taking some time from you. As always, the sectional book is right in front of my office.
4. Brandon Jazz. Final Payment is now past due. Please remit immediately if you have not done so already. As well, Ms. Russell and I are working on all the final details for the tour. The final itinerary and festival information will be posted on the website shortly. Please do not print the information for students, as they will all receive a paper copy when they board the bus. Please remember that students will need to bring some spending money for 2 lunches and 1 dinner. Students are to bring all of their suitcases to the band or choral room on Wednesday morning. Sr. Jazz members are reminded to bring their pin. We are staying at the Victoria Inn - (204) 725-1532. website: https://brandon.vicinn.com
5. For the Love of the Arts (FLOTA) is coming soon in April on the 13th. Tickets are $15 for a single ticket or $110 for a table of 8. Tickets are available in our library. For those of you unfamiliar with this event, it features high-lute performances and displays from all aspect of the magnificent arts programs at Westwood. Band-wise, it will feature performances by the Gr. 10 Concert Band and Sr.Jazz. Grade 10 Concert band members are to be in the band room at 6:00PM and can leave immediately following their performance if they wish. Sr. Jazz is to meet in the band room at 8:00PM SHARP.
6. The night following FLOTA, we will be hosting our annual Family Concert featuring music from our "Family of Schools." This includes presentations by: Phoenix, Robert Browning, Sansome, Lincoln and of course Westwood. Gr. 10 Concert Band and Sr. Jazz will be performing.
7. And for those of you keen to be in the know.... Final Band Concert May 28th in the Gym and Final Jazz Concert - June 2nd in the theatre.