We have a strong tradition of holding some pretty fantastic concerts here at Westwood and we are truly honoured and excited that you have chosen to spend your night with us.
Here are a few things you should know about the concert before you arrive that will make your evening so much more enjoyable.
- Concerts are free. No cost whatsoever.
- Doors open at 3:30PM.... Yes, you read that right. If you like you can come on by and reserve some choice seats and stake out your territory. Never any waiting in long lines.
- Come early. Parking is at a premium. Traditionally there is not a seat to be found by 6:50 and there is standing room only. This is a huge event and first time parents are often overwhelmed by the fun.
- Concert attendance is mandatory for all students. This is their Mid-Term exam and they are expected to be there for the entire concert. THE WHOLE CONCERT... NOT JUST THEIR INDIVIDUAL PERFORMANCE. We are are an extremely team based program and we support all members of our team 9 through 12.
- Concerts traditionally last around 2 to 2.5 hours. And, like a great movie of the same length, it will pass by very quickly.
- Concerts are presented in a Masterworks format where each piece is proceeded with accompanying anecdotes as a great way to get to know our music a little better, and receive some insight into the evening's concert. Did the composer write the piece after a battle with cancer? Is it about an ancient dance? Did the composer write the piece about a temper tantrum his son had?
- There is no printed program.
- Students are to be in the building by 5:30PM at the latest and they will make their way to their assigned rooms..... no parents back stage please.
- All students are responsible to help with tear down. Usually takes about 20 minutes at most... no parents are needed, but you are welcome to pitch in. The best way to help is by putting your chair back on the rack at the back of the room.
- As you may have noticed all of our concerts are professionally webcast. If you would like someone from afar who cannot be here in person to join us, simply have them watch via our website or you can share this link - http://thecube.com/e/771478
- It seems that most people are accustomed to watching live performances through the smudgy window of their device as they try to record their son or daughter's awesome night. It is an epidemic. For the past 15 years, we have hired professional photographers and videographers to take brilliant hi-res photos of our concert and thus make your evening so much more enjoyable. Of course you can still take your own pictures, but wouldn't you rather leave that to the pros so you can actually sit back and enjoy the show?
- At the Final concert in May you will be able to purchase all of the pictures and footage of all of our concerts for $20.00. It is the only fundraiser we do. The videos and images come on a custom flash drive that acts as a keepsake after you have downloaded them onto your device.