Unfortunately, while we work through the A-K/ L-Z portion of the beginning the year, 1/2 of the band students will not be able to attend "in-class" learning until the week starting the 28th of September. Until that time, there will be a need for the "out-of-class" students to complete some assignments. Please see the guide below for your class expectations.
What this means, is that starting the week of the 28th you come to school for band as it is indicated on your time table or on your "off-day." This may very well mean that you only come to school for band that day; however, there is many other classes following this format, so you might find that you will also be here for things like: Dance, Choir, IB, Math...etc.
Until then, here is the plan:
9 Concert Band:
ALL electronically submitted assignments are to be SAVED AS A PDF and emailed to: email@example.com
- Assignment #1 - on the band website www.bandatwestwood.com read the post: Band - Your Immediate Questions Answered from Sept. 4th and complete the Quiz. DUE: Sept 15th.
- Complete the assignment "My Job/ Your Job" Read the Instructions carefully. DUE: Sept 15th.
- To help you get familiar with all of the information on our fantastic band website: www.bandatwestwood.com complete the "Web Assignment" DUE: Sept 21.
- By the 22nd, the expectation for "out-of-class" learning will be that each student picks up their instrument and their red book in preparation for "boot-camp." You will need to make sure your instrument is playable and ready to go for class time the week of the 28th. Grade 9 Band students are responsible for everything on pages 7-9 of the Red book (I Recommend). You may want to have a look before we start on the 28th.
- Assignment #1 - on the band website www.bandatwestwood.com read the post: Band - Your Immediate Questions Answered from Sept. 4th and complete the Quiz. DUE: Sept 15th. SAVE AS A PDF and email to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- By the 22nd, the expectation for "out of class" learning will be that each student picks up their instrument and their red book in preparation for boot-camp. You will need to make sure your instrument is playable and ready to go for class time the week of the 28th. As you are already aware, Gr. 10's will focus on all numbers from pages 7 - 10 and Symphonic Band members will focus on pages 7-12. Auditions will begin some time in October.
- Your first "full" band class will be on the 28th during either Period 1 (Symphonic) or Period 2 (10 CB)
So when can I pick up or sign out my Band/ Jazz instrument?
Instrument/ Red Book pick up can be done on "off days" for students in the Band Room. "Off day" meaning a day you may not have band, but are in the building. Please be mindful that I do have B.I.G. Band at lunch on odd days. I am more than happy to meet you after school any day or at lunch on even days.
Back Packs: Clarinet/ Flute/ Oboe
Lockers: Trumpets, Bassoon, Alto Sax, Some Tenors and Bass Clarinet
Band room shelves: French Horn, Baritone, Trombone, Bari Sax and Tuba.
All Jazz Bands:
- By the 22nd the expectation for "out of class" learning will be that each student who needs to rent a jazz instrument stops by the band room on their "off-day" and signs one out in preparation for classes to begin the week of the 28th.
Trumpets, Altos and some Tenors in your locker
Everything else - band room shelves or Scherzo Room (Bases/ Guitars).