One of the extremely exciting performance opportunities we have at Westwood is to compete in the largest school band festival in Canada held right here in Winnipeg, at our very own Convention Centre, called the Winnipeg Optimist International Band Festival.
Each year, all of our ensembles participate in this dynamic event.
This year's dates and times:
Tuesday February 24th
Grade 10 Concert Band @8:00PM in room #2
Wednesday February 25th
Grade 9 Concert Band @2:50PM in room #2
Friday February, 27th
Symphonic Band @ 6:20PM in room #2
Saturday, March 7th
Sr. Jazz @ 3:35PM - NORTH KILDONAN MENNONITE CHURCH 1315 Gateway.
- Grade 9 Concert Band will be taking a bus to the convention centre. They will be leaving at 1:00 and returning at 4:30PM
- Grade 10, Symphonic Band and Sr. Jazz members are responsible for their own transportation to an from the festival. It is the hope that all members of the band bring parents and friends to form our audience, as we all know the bands will play better when there is an audience.
- As this is a huge team event, the expectation is that all members attend. Mr. Edwards must be notified of any conflicts as soon as possible.
- The above times are our performance times. Students are to be in the lobby of the convention centre at the bottom of the main escalators no later that 1 hour before their performance time to prepare for warm-up.
- Symphonic Band has again volunteered to help with the tearing down of the festival. Students (and parents) will help with the stacking of chairs and placing percussion section items back in boxes. Please bring a change of clothes. Students will be done no later than 9:30PM. This time can count towards volunteer hours.